Vera Bradley Order Status Lookup Tool
Implemented in June 2021
In early 2021, order status lookup became the #1 top call reason for our customer service center. The e-commerce team was tasked with creating a tool to help alleviate the call center volume and allow customers to find order statuses online.

Objective
The objective was to implement a feature that helps users find their order status, thus enhancing the user's experience and decreasing call volume to our customer service center.
Core Team Members
• Product Manager/Owner
• Developers
• UX Designer
Cross-Functional Collaborations
• Customer Service
• Digital Merchandising
My Role
I strategized and designed the full user experience of our order status lookup tool, including:
• Research and Discovery
• Rapid UX/UI Design
• High-Fidelity Prototypes
• Quality Assurance and Usability Testing
• Alignment with Key Stakeholders
• Collaboration with Cross-Functional Partners
Process​​​​​​​
1) Discovery
We began by understanding the problem. We had conversations with the customer service team and asked about the calls they were receiving. What information did users need?
I also dove into user research. "Where do users expect to find a status? What flow do they take? What information are they looking for?" We didn't have internal data available for these usability questions, so Baymard Institute was my primary source of research.
2) MVP Implementation
Working in a Scrum framework, our team utilized an MVP process for this project. This allowed us to implement a solution quickly and efficiently, with low effort. It also helped prevent re-work in the future. Then, we would iterate based on real user feedback.
During the design process, I worked closely with developers to ensure feasibility and maintain collaboration. Some of the designs are shown below.
3) Test & Iterate
After implementing our MVP, we chose to iterate based on real user feedback. I ran some user studies, leading the entire testing process while aligning with core team members and other stakeholders. This ensured we were asking the user valuable questions that would provide us with actionable results.
I chose unmoderated usability testing due to limited time and resources (I was the only UX role in the organization), but we still felt confident in the qualitative and behavioral feedback we would receive.

Usability Test #1
Objectives
1) analyze if users are able to find the new order status lookup tool
2) once users are in the tool, understand if customers are getting the information they need

Context given to participants
• placed an order 7 days ago
• given urgency
• shown an order confirmation email
• asked to discover where their order is

Pain Points Discovered
• users expected more details in the order confirmation email
• on mobile, user had difficultly finding the lookup tool
• users often resorted to the chatbot, which returned incorrect responses and links
• users received invalid results when using all lowercase letters, instead of all uppercase
• users did not fully understand what "unfulfilled" meant

Action Items
• add expected details to order confirmation email, as well as a link to the order status lookup tool
• add links on mobile site where users looked most frequently
• notify cross-functional teams of chatbot bugs discovered
• allow lowercase letters in order status lookup tool
• demystify "unfulfilled" status (future action item, as it was not feasible or in scope at this time)

We worked through the first 4 action items, launching them each individually. Then, we ran another usability test to determine if we addressed the 4 pain points.​​​​​​​
Usability Test #2
Objectives & Context Given to Participants
Same as the first test, but with focus on solving previous pain points

Improvement insights
• 4/4 users found the order status lookup tool
• all 4 users tapped the link in the email
• Average CES score increased to 6.2/7

Pain Points
• users did not fully understand what "unfulfilled" meant (which was a previously known issue)
• when users got to the tool straight from their email, they thought the placeholder text was a pre-populated order #

Action Items
• replace placeholder text to match label, not be an example
• demystify "unfulfilled" status (future action item, as it was not feasible or in scope at this time)
After improving order processes and implementing the order status lookup tool, order status calls to customer service decreased by 83%.